Monday, January 10, 2011

Pineapple and Squashes

So squash grows in the winter.  Really well.  So well that we got 5 squashes in our CSA a few weeks ago. We made lots of squash dishes, and then there were still 2 left.  I decided to make the squash casserole from Vegetables Every Day.  It has Indian flavors, and the squash is baked in coconut milk.  It was really good--the squash was soft and sweet and with a little cilantro on top, very delicious.  If we made it again, I might add a little heat since it wasn't really spicy.

Along with this, I made sauteed pineapple from a Vietnamese cookbook we have.  I have made it before, but since the recipe calls for fish sauce, the last time I made it, I used vegetarian mushroom sauce.  This time, we had found vegetarian fish sauce at a Vietnamese grocery in Santa Ana and so we used vegetarian fish sauce.  Wow, it smelled like fish.  I didn't really like cooking it 'cause it didn't smell good, but it ended up tasting yummy.  Added cilantro to it too, and it was tasty.  But I think it tasted better last time I made it.  Mushroom sauce ftw.

No comments:

Post a Comment